• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fork Extension Mod Complete

do you still have enough play for the brake cable to stretch?
1/2" will not be good enough or long enough.
all very well when suspension sink but it will also go up.that's suspension do.
a lot of folks forget about this.
they only think in compression no thought is given to rebound until it happens.
and the last thing you want is for the brake tube tear open and all the fluid all over you and your nice paint work.
so bare this in mind .

Good points John. In my case I have slack to spare as I replaced the hose with a slightly longer one when I did my caliper upgrade. I always test them at full extension for comfortable slack and full compression for binding/bending/kinking.

I had the front wheel off the ground when I was adjusting the forks, so they were at full extension then. The hose is fairly straight at that point but still loose enough to move freely. I had given some thought to adjusting the metal bracket that attaches the brake line to the lower triple tree as there is more free play above the bracket than below it, but haven't felt it necessary yet. Will keep an eye on it either way.

I had given some thought to adjusting the metal bracket that attaches the brake line to the lower triple tree as there is more free play above the bracket than below it, but haven't felt it necessary yet.

The issue with that is that the bracket is bonded to the hose. You cannot loosen the bracket and slip some slack to the bottom. You could only relocate the bracket or replace the hose (which is what I did on my caliper change).

So now we need to find a rear shock that will fit and is about 2" longer.
We found that a SV650 shock fits a GS500 and is longer and a RT1150 shock fits a Vstrom and is of much better quality,so there should be one out there that will fit our X's !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raising the rear two inches would definitely put me on my tip toes and honestly, I'm not getting any younger, its enough of a stretch to get my leg over the seat as it is. That was another plus to extending the front, the fact that the back of the bike was the same height so it wouldn't be much different when throwing a leg over. I'm good with the back where its at!

The issue with that is that the bracket is bonded to the hose. You cannot loosen the bracket and slip some slack to the bottom. You could only relocate the bracket or replace the hose (which is what I did on my caliper change).

If I remember correctly there is a tab built into the triple tree that locates the bracket and holds it in place. The bracket is a couple inches long, so I was going to cut the bracket to move where the locator holds it allowing the bracket to droop a little lower equalizing the play on both sides of it. Basically notch the bracket so it rotates a little before contacting the locator.

When I get the new steel braided line I will get it a inch or two longer incase I want to do this mod!!.

When I get the new steel braided line I will get it a inch or two longer incase I want to do this mod!!.

Careful with too much extra length. I was amazed at how difficult it is to do anything with it. I ordered mine "a little long" and ended up re-ordering one two inches shorter. Further confounding the specification is the length of the AN3 connectors on both ends and the fact that whatever your homemade triple tree clamp is, it probably holds the hose differently than the molded-in clamp. It is a pain, but I would recommend to put the connectors on both ends and run a temporary tube in your planned routing and measure the length.

I already have 30mm risers so I've used up some of the stock " extra " lenght.
I know what you mean about a place to put the extra,my wifes GS500 has little extra but it tucked into the fairing.

After looking at adjusting that bracket on the brake line, I've decided to make another bracket. The original has too much twist to it to rotate it down the way I was thinking. Will make the same thing with less twist and that will take care of my brake line issue.

I bought a set. I may try running them at +1" first to see how I do with the leg reach. I'll make a 1/2" footpad for the side stand out of UHMWPE.

Did you receive these goodies yet? I'm just waiting for a few more bills to try and overcome, and am itching to get a set of these to try out.

Parked beside my buddy's Super Tenere the other day, and my NCX looked like a Low Rider, lol. There are more than a few deep grooves scarring up Dale's nice skidplate, and I need to remove some length of the shock linkage duck tail so I can deploy my centrestand, now...
:eek:

Did you receive these goodies yet? I'm just waiting for a few more bills to try and overcome, and am itching to get a set of these to try out.

Parked beside my buddy's Super Tenere the other day, and my NCX looked like a Low Rider, lol. There are more than a few deep grooves scarring up Dale's nice skidplate, and I need to remove some length of the shock linkage duck tail so I can deploy my centrestand, now...
:eek:

Not yet. I emailed them for an update last week and no response. Hopefully I haven't been hosed.

I don't have ny interference between the centerstand and the duck tail. Is that from impact damage with yours?

Not yet. I emailed them for an update last week and no response. Hopefully I haven't been hosed.

I don't have ny interference between the centerstand and the duck tail. Is that from impact damage with yours?

*fingers crossed for you*

That's the only way I can think it occurred, a hit in between the centre and the rear extention, bowing the end actually down a wee tiny bit. I can't imagine it could shift even a millimetre backwards on the horizontal, with the great mounting points.

It's an extremely small amount of interference, but like the whole piece, HBP's fitment tolerances are incredibly precise! A mm or two off will suffice, I'm sure.

I do hope no one takes any of my posts as the slightest bit of complaint or anything to do with Dale's awesome product and workmanship, nothing is further away from the truth! It quite obviously saved my sump from becoming swiss cheese, lol.

It doesn't look like much, and kinda gives the optical illusion that the centre tube is actually going past the extension already, but the stand swings down in an arc, and it wedges firm. My 200+ lb. self can feel metal flexing and bending, but I can't push the stand down with all my might.

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

Last edited:
I got the Billski fork caps today. Tomorrow I'll do a 1 inch front lift and see what's what with it. The parts show incredible machining quality and a high mirror polish. Thanks for the idea DanWill.

I got the Billski fork caps today. Tomorrow I'll do a 1 inch front lift and see what's what with it. The parts show incredible machining quality and a high mirror polish. Thanks for the idea DanWill.

Awesome, great to hear you received them ok and the quality meets your satisfaction :)

I await quite eagerly to see the result and what your take is on 'em

Back