• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

If you are having buffeting problems with a wind screen try a lip!

SleepyC

Reaction score
Visit site
All you guys having issues with buffeting, try a lip on your wind screen.

I had a Puig touring screen and it was "OK" but I got tossed around some. So I added an Ebay Special Lip and BAM... calm and cool from 35 - 100 mph...

20170607_074332.jpg

Then I got a bug in my butt about mounting my GPS at eye level. Did research and came across the V-Stream wind screens. They come with a cage to mount your GPS and mount the wind screen. So I removed the Puig sold it (painfully as it worked so well) and mounted the V-stream touring screen.

On the first ride I was sick. The buffeting was so bad it made my bike almost un-ridable. I felt like a schmuck for selling the Puig/w lip that worked so well.
So I bit the bullet and purchased the X-creen lip to add to my V-stream.

I mounted it last night (scary drilling holes and all) and it came out great. More importantly after two quick tool-less adjustments on the way to work today, I was back in the pocket. from 35 - 100 no buffeting... smooth sailing...

I think naked windscreens with a flat top cause the air to roll off the top edge causing the buffeting many feel. The added lip causes the air to compress and shoot out the top in a jet stream and if you angle it properly blast right over the top of your helmet. You can literally put your hand up and feel the blast that is aimed 1" over my head...

Might not work for all situations but for me, two completely different wind screens were "fixed" with a proper lip being added!

20170922_075437.jpg20170922_075430.jpg20170922_075425.jpg20170922_075418.jpg

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have someone take a picture from the side, of you on your ride with the screen?
I'd like to get a look at where the screen is relative to your eye height.
It looks like just the thing for me.
Cheers,
Sully

Would it be possible to have someone take a picture from the side, of you on your ride with the screen?
I'd like to get a look at where the screen is relative to your eye height.
It looks like just the thing for me.
Cheers,
Sully

I'll work on this.. but I can say the lip is just below my eye line... That's what I was adjusting this morning on my ride, the height and the angle... I'll see what I can do about a pic.

5af612532217568ce9376b1306c9f7b5.jpg

Bam!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alright... I'm sold... I placed an order for the lip yesterday.. To be mounted atop my Honda OEM tall windscreen.
>T

Last edited:
Hi SleepyC,
Thank you very much for this post.
I had a Puig tall screen on with a lip, but had a little incident earlier this year.
The insurance replaced it with a different screen (no lip) that looks very sporty and all, but to the life of me I would not have thought that the screen was the reason my head was shaking like a vibrator.
Luckily I still have the Puig and will definitely be putting it back this weekend.

I had a 'lip' on order from Revzilla but just received an email informing me that they are no longer in stock and the order was cancelled. I looked into X creen and it appears that they are too wide to fit my Honda OEM Tall windscreen. The upper portion of my screen, where mounting brackets would be installed, is only about 200mm wide.

Does anyone know where I might find one that is narrower? How well do the 'clamp-on' style work?

XCREEN makes a sport and touring. The sport is about 3" narrower. Might want to look into that. Or the center attach ebay lip (in my op) will fit anything.

Even the narrow X-creen is too wide... And since you didn't send your old, clamp-on version to me, I ordered one on Ebay... ;-)

Thanks.
>T

So here's a stupid question - does anyone think it would work to try and heat a windscreen and reform the top edge to kick it out a bit to form a bit of a lip (kind of like the Vstream Wave)? I've got a Calsci large and thought maybe heating the top edge with my heat gun and trying to form it into a bit of a lip might work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's a stupid question - does anyone think it would work to try and heat a windscreen and reform the top edge to kick it out a bit to form a bit of a lip (kind of like the Vstream Wave)? I've got a Calsci large and thought maybe heating the top edge with my heat gun and trying to form it into a bit of a lip might work

I bet an up curled lip on a windscreen would help. Even the Moto GP bikes and super bikes have a much more pronounced "scooped" lip on their screens.

My calsci is right at eye level as they suggest so putting a lip that extends even a little would have me looking thru the shield. That's why I'm wondering about curving the edge up just a bit.

if you mean like a bend it a little bit forward, then it's not that hard. with a heat gun, something to bend on (trash bin)
for anyone,who dare to try -put aluminum foil on that surface. plexiglass won't stick to it.
but if you overheat it-it would be disaster. you have to mount a heat gun away,so it would produce a steady stream (large enough) of hot air app. 360-400F and wait for a few minutes,until you see it's flexing. then you grab it with something like welder gloves and form gently on the mold\form. if you press hard enough with your fingers-you will leave the permanent marks on windshield. if you press too hard on aluminum-same thing. it has to be very gentle. i suggest you to practice on some plexiglass scraps

i made that thing myself years ago.

Last edited:
af359225fe5b.jpg

here is one of many variations i've made from scraps back in 12-2013(?). it doesn't' have to be big or wide. size of a hand palm is more than enough
paying $120 bucks for same thing? f*** it

Last edited:
Back