• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need advice from experienced NC owners about windscreens

Ed Up

Reaction score
Visit site
I brought home my NC today. Rode about 200 miles and wind noise seems really bad. I have read on this forum until I really don't know the right answer. My last 5 bikes have been Gold Wings and know I'm not going to have the same noise reduction as the Wing. I have the Honda touring screen and considering the Puig clamp on deflector. I'm 5'8" and touring screen hits me just below the chin. Am I thinking right with the Puig deflector or would something else be a better choice? Thanks in advance for any advice.

My last bike was an GL1200. I had a winter and summer screen for it. I now have a Madstad on my NCX and I wouldn't trade it for any other screen out there. I haven't tried the Puig, but I don't think there is a better setup out there for me. I m 5'10'' ish and got the 22'' shield. Winter time I can raise it to the max and keep the wind off me and can drop it in the summer for a little air.
It is quiet, which allows listening to the radio without the harmful wind noise. Hope you find the perfect screen that works for you.

Like you, I'm 5'8", and also consider reducing wind noise very important to me. I also ride a GL1800. The windshield on my NC700X is the Madstad. It does not equal a Goldwing in wind protection, but (depending on how I adjust it) it does put the air stream just over the top of my helmet to cut the noise way down.

My experience is that a screen you look through or just look over is quiet. Also fairly quiet is a minimal windscreen, shorter than the stock NC700X unit, or no windscreen at all. The Honda touring screen is noisy because it directs turbulent wind right at the base of your helmet, or just above that.

Here is some more info on screens, in case you didn't see this thread: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/2796-best-aftermarket-windscreen-links-each-comparison.html

There are some members who added a deflector to the Honda touring screen. Maybe they can chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I looked at the Madstad and the price makes my knees knock. But, if it provides the relief it would be worth it. I don't want to repeat what some have done and purchase 3-4 just to find one that works for me. I would like to see comments from those who have used the Puig clamp on. I read some comments made just after purchase, wondering if they still like. Also some riders said the Puig didn't help a lot with noise. I may have just convinced myself to buy the madstad.

Thanks for your comments

670cc What height Madstad did you get that works well for your height?

Mine measures 20 inches but I mounted it 1.5 inches lower on the brackets than Madstad usually would because I liked the look better. (I had Madstad mark the holes on the windshield where they would put them but did not have them drill it.) With mine all the way down I just look over it. Any taller screen for me would be no good. In bad weather you can lose forward vision if can't look over the screen, so make sure you can at the lowest setting. If you want to just go with the standard mounting hole location, for you I'd recommend an 18 incher.

Better yet, you just call Mark at Madstad and he will guide you in what would be the best height. That way if you follow his advice and it doesn't work out, he'll make it right for you.

Last edited:
Most of the riding I do is at 70 MPH on paved Interstate Highways. Replacing the windscreen was my first upgrade. I'd recommend the biggest you can find that will work with the NC.

As been said-it should be up to the tip of your nose. I'm 5'9 and puig screen was ok.. Wind hits in forehead area. On long trips I'm using my own clip on extention(use search). Works for me.

I'm 5'10". When I first got a larger windscreen, I used the CalSci method and table on their website to find the right windscreen for me (according to their way of thinking). That turned out to be their medium-sized one, and so I bought it. However I found that when I slouched down a bit, the top of the wind screen cut right across where my field of view would be. If I was sitting up straight, the windscreen's height would work fine, but I don't sit up straight all (or even most of) the time... So when I KO'd that original CalSci medium windscreen last year, I got the next smaller size. This one works fine for me, The wind blast hits just about the middle of my faceshield and I have no trouble seeing over it at all - slouched or sitting up straight.

I have the Puig windscreen with the Puig clip-on visor. It has made a big difference in wind noise. I started out with the Honda Touring screen and I can tell you the Puig setup I have now is an enormous improvement.

Attachments

• 20131020_085645.jpg
    20131020_085645.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 376
Noise...? hmmm... maybe ear plugs? I use them on long rides without fail. If I forget, I stop and put them in. It really improves the experience for me... Maybe too much air flow isn't the problem... it's noise.

My bike came with the Honda touring screen and I hated it. It was noisy and made my neck tired. My last bike was a sport bike, so I was used to not having a decent Windscreen but the Honda touring screen was worse than the Bandit screen. There was just too much turbulence.

After going through the forums several times over a couple months I decided to spend the money on the Madstad and glad I did. I am 5'7"but have a 28" so I have a long torso. I contacted Madstad and they recommended the 20" screen. When I put it on I left everything at the settings they had it at in the box. Roughly 55deg angle and about an 1,5“ from all the way down. With this setting I can ride visor up to about 50. The screen is about 3" inches below eye level at a comfortable riding position so I can see over it just fine.

Last week I decided to try some other settings. First thing I did move it all the way up and tilted all the way forward. Screen was even with eye level which was kind of annoying but wind was non-existant on my helmet. There was some extra wind on my chest, I guess it was going under the screen.

Next I went the other extreme, all the way down and tilted all the way back, approximately 45 degrees. That was a mistake because the temp was 35f and the wind went right to my neck, which was cold, but surprisingly there was no turbulence and it was relatively quiet . In the summer that will be my setting.

Now I have it set back about the middle, 55deg angle and about 2“ from all the way down. Quiet up to about 65 then even tolerable over that. Can ride visor up to about 55 if I want to and can see over the screen.

In summary, the madstad screen was worth every penny.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1 Strat. Noise is very subjective with lots of variables. Screen size, type of helmet, riding position or even position of the head

My bike came with the Honda touring screen and I hated it. It was noisy and made my neck tired. My last bike was a sport bike, so I was used to not having a decent Windscreen but the Honda touring screen was worse than the Bandit screen. There was just too much turbulence.

I agree with this 100%. The Honda Touring sucks. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Anything is probably better. JMHO

Sergeant Chuck, where did you find the Puig? It appears the Puig screen is almost the same as the Honda touring. I want the clamp on part. Think I may try that if not too expensive and if that dont help I will then go to madstad. I cant find the Puig clamp on anywhere. On another note, can I assume you are military in the area. If so Air or Army?
I live just outside Fort Smith and teach the MSF course at Fort Chaffee.

I'm 5'7" and have a 30" inseam. If you keep the stock seat height the Parabellum Tall windshiled, aka the riot shield, you'll be pretty much in still air with little buffeting. One problem I did run across is in the California desert if you park with the sun in the back of you the perfectly curved surface has slightly deformed the plastic in the speedo housing. Kinda dissapointed in that. But you really can't beat the wind protection it offers.

Once I raised the front of the seat I experience a little more noise and buffeting but nothing too bad that it shakes your head. In this case earplugs or my earbuds for music easily block it out. Also earbuds are just a good idea they will save your hearing in the long run since wind buffeting is actually quite damaging to hearing and you'll find yourself less mentally fatigued on long rides.

This is the thread with the contact information. It isn't real cheap. There is some discussion in the same thread of a cheaper alternative. I chose to buy the Puig because I have the Puig screen. The other fellow in the thread has a Honda Touring and it attach fine and he had good results.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...ng-windscreen-vs-honda-tall-windscreen-3.html

I'm retired Army. 21 years Infantry. Last assignment was the 101st ABN out of Ft. Cambpell, KY. I took a job with Caterpillar in Little Rock so moved to this area recently. I've been to Chaffee many times when I was active. JRTC used to be there until they moved it to Ft. Polk. I was in the 82nd ABN for 9 years. We spent a lot of time in Chaffee.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Noise...? hmmm... maybe ear plugs? I use them on long rides without fail. If I forget, I stop and put them in. It really improves the experience for me... Maybe too much air flow isn't the problem... it's noise.

+1 on the earplugs.

Not matter what motorcycle and no matter what windshield, always wear earplugs, unless you don't plan on going over 30-35 mph (like me on my Ruckus).

Just want to thanks everyone for your input. Also want to thank Chuck for his military service, and others on this thread.

Back