• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

plugging something in

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
is it possible to attach one of those "electrical ports" commonly found in cars (used to be called ciggarrette lighters).... so that I can plug in and power a GPS?

How is this done?

I put a Powerlet outlet in my frunk. It is wired to my fuse block that I put in the document holder at the bottom of the frunk. You can also plug in an outlet to Honda's sub harness.
Mike

They sell them at cycle gear for $20. Attaches to battery directly with inline fuse. Has handlebar clamp also.

I put a Powerlet outlet in my frunk. It is wired to my fuse block that I put in the document holder at the bottom of the frunk. You can also plug in an outlet to Honda's sub harness.
Mike

thank you for the reply. I didn't understand any of what you said.
what is a "fuse block"?
what is a "sub harness"?

There are easyer ways but i do this.i don't use gps all the time.just don't leave gps plugged in while bike not running.i always unplug it

thank you. I have all the pieces now, and it does look like something one could do on his own. Do folks usually install this themselves? Wow! I could install it and then Use my gps! coool. Do I need any other parts to make that work?

ok...I'll ask...what is the best way to do this?

THIS ONE looks the the easiest way to go. I would only use it to power a Tom Tom GPS.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like an asshole but it seems to me that you would be very wise to find someone, that has some mechanical ability, to give you a hand.

I know of a number of cases where a simple accessory installation became a sad, and occasionally expensive, activity.

thank you for the reply. I didn't understand any of what you said.
what is a "fuse block"?
what is a "sub harness"?

OK... i found the item... thanks for the link... it looks like it plugs into something...(yes, I know the "battery tender line"!)
What is a battery tender line?

thank you. I have all the pieces now, and it does look like something one could do on his own. Do folks usually install this themselves? Wow! I could install it and then Use my gps! coool. Do I need any other parts to make that work?

no harm done

I don't want to sound like an asshole but it seems to me that you would be very wise to find someone, that has some mechanical ability, to give you a hand.

I know of a number of cases where a simple accessory installation became a sad, and occasionally expensive, activity.

I didn't take it that way at all. You're certainly not an a**hole for offering good advice.

I do my own soldering on guitar projects, and I'm fair at reading a wiring diagram. I've done basic electrical wiring for our house.

The motorcycle is new to me, and I'd rather look like a total novice (which is what I am) and learn.
I've learned a lot from the articles people linked to and their replies.

I've got all the information I need to wire in the USB ports.

I think I'll keep it in the frunk. It sounds old school, but the "Adventure" in "Adventure Bike" is diminished if I'm never lost and always know what's down the road.

Of course.... that doesn't mean I can't pull off the road, stop, and consult a GPS when I need to.
Thank you all for getting me up to speed.

I think I'll keep it in the frunk. It sounds old school, but the "Adventure" in "Adventure Bike" is diminished if I'm never lost and always know what's down the road.

My wife once accused me of being lost, to which I replied, "No, I just don't know where I am".

Not knowing where you are or how to get where you're going doesn't make you lost. You're only lost if you can't find your way back.

My wife once accused me of being lost, to which I replied, "No, I just don't know where I am".

Not knowing where you are or how to get where you're going doesn't make you lost. You're only lost if you can't find your way back.

Sorry about that... I was using the lost to mean that I don't know exactly where I am or how to get back... but I'm about to discover it by exploring....that's a good kind of lost!

I will have the GPS as a back up to prevent the kind of "lost" you mentioned...
In the book "Into the Wild" the main character, Chris McCandless, crossed a Denali National park river when it was low. Later, when it was raging, he couldn't cross it and subsequently died. If he'd been friendlier with maps, he would have known that there was a cable bridge not far from him.
I've never forgot that story and think of it whenever I say to myself..."I don't need a map! I don't need technology!"
Good book, by the way....worth reading.
That and my favorite Motorcycle book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
big I digress....

Last edited:
I went with the Honda 12V accessory - 2012 NC700X Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports. However, the dealer I went to for installation botched the install and ruined the sub harness in the process...so it has yet to work for me. They are going to fix it for me, but since they have to essentially dissemble the bike to do the install (it takes about 3 hours for the install) I haven't had time to go back yet and have them fix it.

Back