• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat mod......slope change

Hey bamamate. The seat slope does keep me sliding into the frunk, but after four hours riding today, I was still comfortable. I just want to raise the front. Which instruction did you follow? The soggybottom or nc700x.com? Are adding spacers enough or does the tongue top slot need not to be added too? If not too much trouble, a photo of what you did would be much appreciated.

Hey bamamate. The seat slope does keep me sliding into the frunk, but after four hours riding today, I was still comfortable. I just want to raise the front. Which instruction did you follow? The soggybottom or nc700x.com? Are adding spacers enough or does the tongue top slot need not to be added too? If not too much trouble, a photo of what you did would be much appreciated.

Post #14 with pictures in this tread pretty much covers it. The raised tongue slot needs to be added, but not reinforced, the spacers need to be added, they support the seat. The tongue locates the seat and stops upward and side movement. Others maybe doing this differently?

Last edited:
Post #14 with pictures in this tread pretty much covers it. The raised tongue slot needs to be added, but not reinforced, the spacers need to be added, they support the seat. The tongue locates the seat and stops upward and side movement. Others maybe doing this differently?
either way will work fine for you, and achieve the same result. niether of the procedures are permanate or irreversable, the same result will be achieved no matter which way it is done.

I did showkey's post #14 but without the added brace under the tongue though my work doesn't look as good.

I poked around Lowes for stuff to use. For the slot I used flat mending brace that I found by the hinges row. It is thicker than needs to be but works. Bent it into the shape and cut off the excess. For the spacers I couldn't find bumpers with mushrooms so I used 1" rubber stoppers. Found them in the specialty fastners section. Cut them off to the desired height drilled a hole through the middle and used a panhead bolt with large washer on top and nylon lock nut. I made them about 3/4" tall to start with since I didn't know how much they would compress. I need to trim them down a little.

Its not rocket science bama, your on the right track, its a little late but I used automotive double face tape for the spacers, it just eliminates drilling those 2 holes and will look better if the mod is reversed. The tounge support tab is not needed as long as you get good contact on the 2 side bumpers.

I thought about using something with tape but power tools are so fun to use......and the bike will be so old when I get rid of it that no one would want it.

Might work. It would have to be the right kind of glue for the materials. I would wonder how well the glue would hold up. Glues generally don't hold well with sideways or twisting pressure. They are generally ment for straight pulling pressure. Sorry, I don't remember the technical terms (sheer strength etc). I could tell from the marks that the bumpers do move around a little.

Honestly drilling wasn't a big deal. I used #10 panhead bolts so the holes are small. I put a small piece of wood between the bracket and the gas tank to catch the bit when it broke through. Making the bracket for the tongue was the hardest part.

The tape I use for things like this is 3M doubleface, you can get a small roll at most autoparts stores. Its the stuff that holds on moldings and logos on cars, it is really tough, I use it to hold 12v powerports to metal or plastic parts on many motorcycles. It is a b!toh to remove, much harder than self stick velcro. Make sure you clean parts with alcohol before applying.

After a nice ride of about 70 miles I decided to make the bracket to raise the front of the seat up. Made and installed bracket. Waiting to find some rubber pads.

When I was at the Dealer yesterday the Mech. gave me two rubbers plugs just like the one under the seat. I trimed the plug end down so they would fit into the hole in the plugs in the seat. Used hot glue,alot, and they held in place just fine. Now I have a level seat. NICE.

My version of the mod

I call it the skyjacker mod after skyjacker lift kits for 4x4s. Definitely worth it. More of my butt is now supported. I don’t constantly slide forward and most importantly I can put off buying a custom seat. Least for now. That may change after I ride out for the Tail of the Dragon meet in May. After that many miles in a few days I may want a custom seat again.:)

2013_01_29_291.JPG

Did the seat slope mod today. Used rubber chair sliders from walmart, they come in two sizes and the smaller ones fit perfectly over the bumpers attached to the bottom of the seat. They even come in black. There are several lines inside the slider and I cut down to the first line inside because I thought the seat height was a little too high when used the way they come. I also added a small strip of metal like the original poster did to locate the tongue, even though it probably wasn't necessary.
Took a sixty mile ride afterward to test it out and I didn't slide into the frunk once. Also didn't have any problems with the stock seat making me numb, or in pain. Will have to test more with a couple hundred mile ride, but so far it seems the seat is good as is.

Just pop your seat off and set the tongue on top of the bracket then re-install the two bolts and close the rear seat. You can even get a feel for how it would fit you by sitting on it, but I wouldn't ride it like that without adding the bumper/spacer things and making a taller bracket to secure it.

Back