• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have found over the years is that engine braking saves on brakes but burns through tires. Even my DCT in S-mode. If you can feel that short rapid deceleration (on any bike) then you know you are skidding the tire. It is not locked but it is skidding. I don't know any way to calculate the most cost effective way to decelerate.
I do know that when younger I used to downshift a LOT. I was so cool. I hardly ever replaced brake components. Even on bikes with 45,000 to 86,000 miles on them. THat was in the 70s to the early 90s.
I don't downshift much now at all. The DCT does what it wants though. I have no idea how many miles I will get on a set of brake pads.
I hardly ever used the rear. Slowing hard and using the rear seemed a bit risky to me. But Florida is straight and flat......with sand.
After taking out a rear tire in 5k miles because of breaking hard, now I use only the front brake unless it's one of those OOH NO moments. My front brake pads last about 20k-25k miles at $40 bucks for front brake pads versus $150+ before mounting for a rear tire. It seems like a no brainer and now my front and rear tire wear out at the same time

After taking out a rear tire in 5k miles because of breaking hard, now I use only the front brake unless it's one of those OOH NO moments. My front brake pads last about 20k-25k miles at $40 bucks for front brake pads versus $150+ before mounting for a rear tire. It seems like a no brainer and now my front and rear tire wear out at the same time

I like to use both my brakes all the time, so when that 'OOH NO' moment comes it's going to be reflex that both my hand and my foot are doing their thing, braking hard...if I never use the back brake, chances are I won't use the back brake in an emergency. I have ABS.

Last edited:
I like to use both my brakes all the time, so when that 'OOH NO' moment comes it's going to be reflex that both my hand and my foot are doing their thing, braking hard...if I never use the back brake, chances are I won't use the back brake in an emergency. I have ABS.
ABS changed everything, for the better.
179011f7724912f337dd77d9a0648e9a.jpg

I unfortunately don't have ABS. The one OOH NO that comes to mind is when a semi parked on the shoulder came into my lane with his 4-way flashers on still, pushed me into the choke point into the dirt at 45 to 55 mph and the grass was taller then and this was a couple hours before sunrise, my first reaction was reaching for the front brake luckily I didn't do that and went with mostly back brake with a little front because of the dirt, my big concern was not hitting the over pass. If you know what to do, and what not to, and you ride often, you should react properly

Last edited:
Today was a long day.

I rode the bike into work again and later back home in rush hour traffic. Some truck driver on a perpendicular street shoves his nose into my lane and stops. I have to swerve to the left third to avoid his bumper. I gave him the SoundBomb, high beam and middle finger. It's on video too.

I checked the oil when I got home and it was a bit low, just above the bottom mark, so I put enough in to make go just below the top mark.

I can't let a day go by without adding something, so I installed a pair of FOBOS tire pressure and temp monitor caps:

56af9cf249971271e105bbe569fd9817.jpg

Then I spent the next 8 hours riding about 300 miles out and back to our Amish country farms in the western part of WI. They make awesome cheese and smoked sausage. I got some!

There's a highway out there that has some neat turns, so I did a little bit of it:

Site Maintenance

Cruising along back roads and county highways in D at 60mph with throttle lock I got about 71 mpg. I passed 1000 miles on the odometer.

Then it started getting dark. And the thunderstorms rolled in. I only had my hot weather mesh gear so I got soaked:

704649f1c9df0395922ce5b519fbe487.jpg

I decided it was time to come home the fast way and headed for the superslab.
Average speed about 75 mph. Feeling good about the tires in the wet, well scrubbed in by now. A bit of slipping on the wet tar snakes but nothing to panic about.

Lots of semis and turbulence with the wind and rain. I pass them at 85mph rather than hang out in their wake. The NC just gobbles fuel at those speeds, I was on the reserve at 191 miles since last fill up. Got gas, got home and am now eating my meat and cheese.

Edit: I actually arrived home completely dry despite being in the downpour. I wear waterproof SIDI rain boots, merino wool socks. Under my jacket I wear a polyester long sleeve base layer made for skiing that wicks sweat. This was completely soaked at one point in the ride but the air flow eventually dried it when I passed the storm cells. I used the heated grips to stay warm and counteract the evaporative cooling.

Last edited:
Today was a long day.

I rode the bike into work again and later back home in rush hour traffic. Some truck driver on a perpendicular street shoves his nose into my lane and stops. I have to swerve to the left third to avoid his bumper. I gave him the SoundBomb, high beam and middle finger. It's on video too.

I checked the oil when I got home and it was a bit low, just above the bottom mark, so I put enough in to make go just below the top mark.

I can't let a day go by without adding something, so I installed a pair of FOBOS tire pressure and temp monitor caps:

56af9cf249971271e105bbe569fd9817.jpg

Then I spent the next 8 hours riding about 300 miles out and back to our Amish country farms in the western part of WI. They make awesome cheese and smoked sausage. I got some!

There's a highway out there that has some neat turns, so I did a little bit of it:

Site Maintenance

Cruising along back roads and county highways in D at 60mph with throttle lock I got about 71 mpg. I passed 1000 miles on the odometer.

Then it started getting dark. And the thunderstorms rolled in. I only had my hot weather mesh gear so I got soaked:

704649f1c9df0395922ce5b519fbe487.jpg

I decided it was time to come home the fast way and headed for the superslab.
Average speed about 75 mph. Feeling good about the tires in the wet, well scrubbed in by now. A bit of slipping on the wet tar snakes but nothing to panic about.

Lots of semis and turbulence with the wind and rain. I pass them at 85mph rather than hang out in their wake. The NC just gobbles fuel at those speeds, I was on the reserve at 191 miles since last fill up. Got gas, got home and am now eating my meat and cheese.

Edit: I actually arrived home completely dry despite being in the downpour. I wear waterproof SIDI rain boots, merino wool socks. Under my jacket I wear a polyester long sleeve base layer made for skiing that wicks sweat. This was completely soaked at one point in the ride but the air flow eventually dried it when I passed the storm cells. I used the heated grips to stay warm and counteract the evaporative cooling.
sounds like a great day and I like the the tire pressure monitoring system

Yesterday I led my son Max on a 68 mile loop around this part of Vermont, his longest ride ever. Montpelier to Morrisville to Hardwick and back home. I have to warn anyone thinking of doing the same loop to stay away from Route 12, north from Worcester to Elmore, especially the section through the C.C. Putnam state forest. The forest section of road was completely rebuilt three years ago and now the pavement is terribly frost heaved with very sharp jumps, jumps not bumps, in the pavement every second or so at 50 MPH, we'll have to try it in the reverse order to see if it is any smoother. Other than that bad section we had a blast.

Just finished mounting my TKC80's. Got an email this morning from rocky mountain atv saying I have over $100 in credits due to their price drop refund thingy, about 15 minutes later I was checking out with a set of SW motech crash guards.

Last edited:
Apparently my tires are a bit low when cold, checking this while eating my cereal, the signal works very far away and is Bluetooth:

2ba8ad712d921587a86214764071c37a.jpg
A few pounds in the front tire and your good. That's cool with the range you can check while eating or getting a coffee

Apparently my tires are a bit low when cold, checking this while eating my cereal, the signal works very far away and is Bluetooth:

2ba8ad712d921587a86214764071c37a.jpg

Try swapping them, you'd think both tires would be the same temperature.

Last edited:
Slow, pokey, looking mood like yesterday. A friendly retired Honda mechanic helped me replace my rear abs sensor (my own dumb fault in creating the replacement need)... a big THANK YOU to him (yes, he did the less fun parts of the repair... kind of like the old Shake 'n Bake ad... "...and I helped".)
After my morning's 60 mile 70 mph commute to work, I took the 75 mile return trip on roads with no center lines. Even found a couple new ones... including some logging roads. And, so far, not even the first bar on the fuel indicator has gone off... to say something of the "intensity" of my commute home.
d9a111228407fc379c1aecaae9026971.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wear Bar Mod.jpg
This is probably my fourth? or fifth? front-tire - first time I ever ran it down to the wear-bars on a front-tire - NOT RECOMMENDED!! Hard to describe but there is something unnatural about the feel of riding a front-tire with so little tread - I already have it's replacement on hand but timing and cash in pocket led me to let things go too long - will fix it soon!

Yesterday I led my son Max on a 68 mile loop around this part of Vermont, his longest ride ever. Montpelier to Morrisville to Hardwick and back home. I have to warn anyone thinking of doing the same loop to stay away from Route 12, north from Worcester to Elmore, especially the section through the C.C. Putnam state forest. The forest section of road was completely rebuilt three years ago and now the pavement is terribly frost heaved with very sharp jumps, jumps not bumps, in the pavement every second or so at 50 MPH, we'll have to try it in the reverse order to see if it is any smoother. Other than that bad section we had a blast.

My wife is flying out to Morrisville on Monday!!,
We use to live in Johnson and her family lives in Morrisville and Wolcott.

Try swapping them, you'd think both tires would be the same temperature.

I dunno what's up with the different temps. They're both at ambient air now and reading 36 and 42. These things are handy, have to see how they hold up long term. Supposedly the app alerts you with a notification if the pressures fall out of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another nice ride out today the sun was out and so were we!
on the way home I dropped the bike for the 1st time. I was getting out of the way of a 4x4 .we were in rush so we let him pass in doing so I put my left foot down and nothing was there so over we went. broke the mirror and bent the footrest and a little pride went out the window ooops.lol
DSC03293.jpgDSC03294.jpgDSC03296.jpgDSC03297.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back