• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who doesn't like the DCT and why?

I suppose I shouldn't be posting on this thread as I tried the DCT recently and liked it even after 45 years of normal foot change. However, on the day that I tested, it did have one shortcoming for me. When riding briskly on backroads in the ordinary drive mode (which I preferred) I found that I did not have enough engine braking when approaching tight bends at speed. In such situations the way around this was to use the manual downshift paddle to compensate. I accept that this shortcoming could have been alleviated somewhat by using the more sporty mode, but that mode was holding on to the gears too long for me when accelerating.

I suppose I shouldn't be posting on this thread as I tried the DCT recently and liked it even after 45 years of normal foot change. However, on the day that I tested, it did have one shortcoming for me. When riding briskly on backroads in the ordinary drive mode (which I preferred) I found that I did not have enough engine braking when approaching tight bends at speed. In such situations the way around this was to use the manual downshift paddle to compensate. I accept that this shortcoming could have been alleviated somewhat by using the more sporty mode, but that mode was holding on to the gears too long for me when accelerating.

I usually find myself down shifting when entering a corner. It's too easy on a DCT bike, the down shift button is right under my left thumb. I can down shift mid-corner, leaned over, without upsetting the bike. Ah, shoot, I couldn't help myself from making a comment in support of the DCT. Sorry.

There is no way a computer will shift the DCT when I want the shift. For that reason I ride in manual mode 100% of the time and I love it. That and the butt ugly black wheels and bike in general is why I will be getting a 2017 in Red. Those are my dislikes.

I have been thinking for a while about the new quick shifters & such. Quick shifters will continue to be at a disadvantage to a DCT on the upshift because they require still (done automatically) that the throttle be momentarily closed. Not required on a DCT.

I have been thinking for a while about the new quick shifters & such. Quick shifters will continue to be at a disadvantage to a DCT on the upshift because they require still (done automatically) that the throttle be momentarily closed. Not required on a DCT.

I find it interesting that everyone seems to love bikes with quick shifters. Some BMW models allow both up and down shifting which really isn't too far removed from a double clutch transmission in manual mode. Hopefully DCTs will gain more and more acceptance and we'll start to see them from different manufacturers. I know mine has spoiled me and I'd love to see some more choices.

I hate the fact that I can no longer "drop the clutch" and spin the rear end around quickly. On narrow trails and really sharp slow/stopped turns it would be helpful.
I held the front brake and tried it in damp grass and it worked.....OK but that is a lot to do at the same time for an old man.
I was never good at wheelies and hopping logs anyway but I bet the DCT can't do well with that either.

There, I came up with something. Naa Naa.

I hate the fact that I can no longer "drop the clutch" and spin the rear end around quickly. On narrow trails and really sharp slow/stopped turns it would be helpful.
I held the front brake and tried it in damp grass and it worked.....OK but that is a lot to do at the same time for an old man.
I was never good at wheelies and hopping logs anyway but I bet the DCT can't do well with that either.

Presumably the Africa Twin DCT can do these things or it will not appeal to its intended audience?
Mike

The other thing I found out with the DCT is that in sport mode it will down shift enough that it will burn your tire off.

I found after thousands and thousands of miles that most of my tire wear came from down shifting. What really happens, even if you gradually let the clutch out, is that the rear tire in slowing the bike actually loses traction and "skids". It does not lock up. I does skid though. This really burns off the tire. It took me 20 years to figure it out. Down shifting is cool when young. Practical in some situations when older. But burns tires.
So the S mode is only for S riding. Most of the time there is so much traffic in FL and the roads are straight and flat the D mode is all that is needed.

My only complaint is that the NC sorta runs out of breath around 50-60mph. Oh it will do 100mph, but passing on the interstate around 70 takes a while. Otherwise, I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$1,800.00, where did you get that?

2016 NC700X - $7,499.00

2016 NC700XDCT ABS - $8,099.00

That's a $600.00 difference.

Yes, Honda finally got smart. But, in 2012:

Manual $6999
DCT/ABS $8999

Those were MSRP prices. Actual price paid difference after typical discounts was about $1800 ($6399 vs $8199). Honda could have gotten DCT off to a much better start had they priced them right at the model's introduction. I think they eventually realized a lot of people weren't going to pay 25% more for the motorcycle just get ABS and/or a different transmission. In 2013 they dropped the DCT/ABS price by $500, and in 2014 they dropped the DCT/ABS price another $200. It continued to fall. A 2016 DCT is still $900 cheaper than the 2012 was 5 model years ago.

Now with the 2016's $600 MSRP difference, instead of $2000, more people might be inclined to buy the DCT, if nothing else just because they might want ABS. I would have bought DCT/ABS at today's prices, but not what they were back then. I bought a lot of farkles for $1800.

Last edited:
Yes, Honda finally got smart. But, in 2012:

Manual $6999
DCT/ABS $8999

Those were MSRP prices. Actual price paid difference after typical discounts was about $1800 ($6399 vs $8199). Honda could have gotten DCT off to a much better start had they priced them right at the model's introduction. I think they eventually realized a lot of people weren't going to pay 25% more for the motorcycle just get ABS and/or a different transmission. In 2013 they dropped the DCT/ABS price by $500, and in 2014 they dropped the DCT/ABS price another $200. It continued to fall. A 2016 DCT is still $900 cheaper than the 2012 was 5 model years ago.

Now with the 2016's $600 MSRP difference, instead of $2000, more people might be inclined to buy the DCT, if nothing else just because they might want ABS. I would have bought DCT/ABS at today's prices, but not what they were back then. I bought a lot of farkles for $1800.

I just bought a 2016 DCT. Should take delivery next week.

Yah , I noticed the price difference year to year.

At 8,099, the 2016 is fairly a bargain in my wallets eye.
Not only is is less expensive.. there's more and nicer stuff on it.
Bigger screen, nicer looking muffler, re-jiggered tranny, new front caliper and more.

I wanted ABS so that made the DCT the only choice for me here in the USA.
But I will say that I'm curious to live with the DCT day in day out, so for me it's a bit of an experiment/curiosity.

The only thing I dislike DCT for is disconnection when performing slow maneuvers.
Personally, I'm trying to train new skills by using rear brake in combination with little throttle, so that effectively works like half-clutch. I'm slowly getting better at it, but still feel a little nervous when I need to do a tight u-turn.
Of course, with enough practice you can ride DCT as effectively as manual clutch bikes. It simply requires different set of skills.

My DCT started to behave like you described- holds on the the gear too long after coming out of turns.
I reset the PCM by following the procedure called 'Clutch reinitialize' as given in the service manual.
Today, I test drove it through the twisties in 'D' mode exclusively (I usually go on 'S' mode for S-roads).
It never held on to the lower gear coming out of the lean. Shifting changed to my liking.
I always believed the 'learning' function to be a myth but now I can't help but concede there is something, there.
Still don't think it learns any of the operator input, but during the reinitialize phase, the PCM must store a
new benchmark for the clutch operation, effectively changing clutch behaviour throughout the built-in mapping.
There is no other explanation.

This is also my biggest pet peeve. Honda could have given us a clutch lever, just like the manual counterpart.
Technically there is no reason not to have it. Safety wise it only helps in certain situations. Feature wise it only makes
sense to have it, the Africa Twin will suffer without it, as it is promoted to be an off road contender.

So there, DCTFAN has one (1) dislike for the DCT.
This post will self destruct when Honda comes up with the option of a clutch lever.

My go pro is on the front of the bike.
I reached forward to turn it on and my elbow hit the kill switch.
No way to restart without stopping.
Could be dangerous in some traffic situations.

Solution: don't do that.

If you have goofy friends who like to prank you by hitting the kill switch, just have a plan.

Back