• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rode with my wife on pillion out to see a new bridge. Sadly the one it replaced was destroyed, even though it was was more than 100 years old.

This is the view from Stepp's Ford Bridge. This is a spot where the river hits hard rock and so it is wide and shallow. The cattle trail from Texas crossed here from 1865 until the trails moved further west.

You can see the riffles where the shallows are.

IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:
flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/30182897720/in/dateposted/

30182897720_aeb9ab4868_h.jpg
Great picture. Forest fires seem terrible at the time, but nature brings the forest back strong. In many areas it is a natural cycle. How long ago did this area burn?

2003. But there are two sides to that story. this same fire devastated a lot of area outside Glacier NP. The Blackfoot Nation (reservation east of Glacier NP) actually sued the park service because it allowed the fire to spread across boundaries, as a start. There's a lot more to these issues than black or white, especially in a world that is more populated than ever.

2003. But there are two sides to that story. this same fire devastated a lot of area outside Glacier NP. The Blackfoot Nation (reservation east of Glacier NP) actually sued the park service because it allowed the fire to spread across boundaries, as a start. There's a lot more to these issues than black or white, especially in a world that is more populated than ever.

We will always struggle with the optimum balance between civilization and nature. And both sides have mostly opinion and fear mongering with minimal science based facts.

I was passing through Yellow Stone in summer of 1984 when the big fire saw just starting. That one soon had people second guessing the policy of letting it burn. Went through again 3 years later. Looked a lot like your picture. Rangers said it had increased the wildlife in the area significantly because the mature forest had little at ground level for animals to eat with trees blocking sun from the ground.

Not every tree is a redwood or cypress capable of living thousands of years. Left to nature many forests go through a cycle of maturing, burning and re-growing. When I was north of you in Alberta our foresters said the natural cycle up there averaged 150 years. A young forest was primarily aspen but over time the spruce pine and fir would grow above the aspen. A mature forest there had little aspen. What they replant is expected to be harvested in 90 to 100 years so preempting the fire cycle.

We've pretty much decimated timber jobs in the US. That's tied to all this too. But don't worry. Just like a lot of other industries, we can just let that get farmed out to nations without environmental protections, or safeguards for the poor indigenous people who happen to live in the areas of desirable natural resources. We can just pretend there's no exploitation going on because it's not happening here. And we can buy Canadian-subsidized lumber too.

Or as you say we could find a balance.

A dry 40-degree day today, with hazy sun available, so I played around more with the extra latitude my risers give to get the handlebars, perches, cables and Barkbuster Storm cups right the way I want (left side has the inner assembly flipped over, the right side has just the swivel allen-head flipped to allow easier tightening wihtout moving anything). Now the cups let a little more wind flow over the top, and less wind flows around the fingers. The adjustable levers are rulin', very easy to get the results I want with cold-weather gloves or summer gloves. Finally, the bars are set at an angle that gives a wider range of comfortable positions with great feel/control, swept back further and I can still stand up without even a slight hunch. Those cheap risers are way too good for the price -- in fact they are nigh unto perfect!

Took the NC out then to make sure everything was rightest, and everything felt thoroughly sorted. After about 60 miles of pleasant skies I hit some fog for 40 miles that seemed like it dropped the temperature about 10 degrees instantly, was kind of wishing I had heated grips, or even better winter gloves. But when I finally headed back I got into some upper 40s weather and hung out for awhile at a roadhouse out on their sun deck overlooking a river, before heading home satisfied. Think I'm within a few miles of 10,000 miles on the odometer and tires, not bad for day riding since mid-July : }

...Colors were great:

flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/29881913314/in/album-72157638487130993/

29881913314_5bf2d41fa8_h.jpg

You should go for the heated grips (probably more convenient than gloves). Loving mine these days [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is gorgeous! We just spent the weekend in the redwoods and it really makes me jealous of where you get to ride!

Yeah seeing all these pics from Montana I wish people had not discouraged me
to go north... and with the weight of my fully loaded bike I guess snow is not for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also had a brisk ride into work today. 44 when I left the house, with the wrong gloves and the vents on the jacket still open... I was a little late in rolling out or I would have gone back and zipped up and gotten my other gloves. Supposed to be just short of 70 this afternoon, so not worried about it for the way home.

Guess it is time to hook up the plug for the heated gear, and go ahead and throw the liner and gloves in the top box.

this weekend I changed the wiring on my USB adapter, I hooked it up to the 12V lead at the front brake switch instead of directly to the battery. Supposedly that lead has a 7.5 amp fuse on it with enough left to support a USB device or two

Thanks to forum-member inditx, I replaced my cracked right-side mirror.
Thanks to GBoz, I installed a shortened sidestand that works with my lowering links.
Great bike... Great community...
>T

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I went to Ohio to get my manual NC from my son to trailer it home (Wisconsin) for some maintenance. I decided to go home by way of Gatlinburg, Tennessee and rode 11 hours today in and around Great Smokey Mountains National Park... great fun. One more day of riding tomorrow and I have to head home to be responsible.
35abe1c35b40b668c767192640a901ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back