• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Saturday, rode the NC700x down to C&C Powersports in Clarksville Indiana. They were having a ride Victory event. For 4 hours, I rode multiple different Victory motorcycles; from their naked bikes up to the Victory Vision. I fell in love with the Victory Cross Country-and if I had the disposable funds, I would have one in the garage. The Victory Vision-heck no, POS-too heavy, (almost 200 lbs more than the cross country), felt like it wanted to fall over-even at 75mph on the super slab, too long. I rode a couple of their bikes with ape hangers and today my neck and shoulder are stiff-not my cup of tea. Their nake bikes (the Gunner is one of them) is $3000 more than the NC700x but not worth $3000 more but it had the acceleration and torque....

Yesterday, went out for a ride to see the fall colors:

Kind of cheated, the pond picture is my backyard and the other picture is my front yard. I did go ride some curves around Borden and Pekin Indiana (I have a route I can do 100 curves in 10 miles :))

c1f9b5d83d21e8e4c28a87c0c5f6cea0.jpg

Ibereregg : simple ride and small lunch.
Pumpkin soup.
Can u spot my bike?

3de282ad693b0d8a7edf6110cb6ae774.jpg

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Can u spot my bike?
not in the pumpkin soup I can't.lol

never got around to stripping the accessories off.
weather was nice and calm on sunday ,a bit cloudy but not to cold.
went over the moors pop into whitby for a cuppa and a scone....road home on the coast road. about 90 miles in all. a good day out beats going to the shops .lol
DSC03474.jpgDSC03475.jpgDSC03476.jpgDSC03477.jpg

I put on a new PR4 front tire. The old one was at the wear bars. All I had was a couple of spoons that double as wrenches for the rear axle bolt and two rim protectors. I was going to buy a stand and bead breaker but then I found out they cost money. So why not just wing it? Right? With ignorance and arrogance all things are possible. Well, that and YouTube.

At first I thought I got the wrong size tire. Look how skinny the new one looks.
db74e3bc488196bd386cbd2d07c05c1f.jpg

One looks like me in my 20s. The other like me now.

I tried a couple of 8 inch c-clamps to break the bead. It looked easy on that YouTube video. It really wasn't. The old PR4 had different plans. So I used a different low tech bead breaker that I saw used in - you guessed it - a YouTube video. It actually broke the bead with very little effort. If I ever do this again, I'm doing it this way.
9aea75301b8d5e8c1b33a64f108a56be.jpg

Putting the new tire in the sun for a bit really seemed to make mounting it easy. Not as easy as that BMW guy made it look on his GS in his YouTube video. It was like he fell on the tire and it went on the rim. The guy changed the tire in his riding pants. I'm starting to loose trust in YouTube.

The saddest part was the use of my 1970's Workmate work bench / tire balancer.
ec152d42abcf406fd9235bd4832e18bd.jpg

It actually worked pretty good. I put a little piece of tape at the top of the tire and "repeated the experiment". That little blue piece of tape going to the top. I should make a YouTube video on how to balance a tire that way. It ended up at 14 grams worth of wheel weights.

9 ounces of Ride-On and a few torqued bolts latter I was done.

Seriously though. The old front had 18,000 miles on it and I was starting to get some wobble. I got 12,000 out of the last PR4 rear. I'm really looking at only one tire change a year. So no big deal paying soneone. The only reason I did it myself is because I hadn't done it before.

I put on a new PR4 front tire. The old one was at the wear bars. All I had was a couple of spoons that double as wrenches for the rear axle bolt and two rim protectors. I was going to buy a stand and bead breaker but then I found out they cost money. So why not just wing it? Right? With ignorance and arrogance all things are possible. Well, that and YouTube.

At first I thought I got the wrong size tire. Look how skinny the new one looks.
db74e3bc488196bd386cbd2d07c05c1f.jpg

One looks like me in my 20s. The other like me now.

I tried a couple of 8 inch c-clamps to break the bead. It looked easy on that YouTube video. It really wasn't. The old PR4 had different plans. So I used a different low tech bead breaker that I saw used in - you guessed it - a YouTube video. It actually broke the bead with very little effort. If I ever do this again, I'm doing it this way.
9aea75301b8d5e8c1b33a64f108a56be.jpg

Putting the new tire in the sun for a bit really seemed to make mounting it easy. Not as easy as that BMW guy made it look on his GS in his YouTube video. It was like he fell on the tire and it went on the rim. The guy changed the tire in his riding pants. I'm starting to loose trust in YouTube.

The saddest part was the use of my 1970's Workmate work bench / tire balancer.
ec152d42abcf406fd9235bd4832e18bd.jpg

It actually worked pretty good. I put a little piece of tape at the top of the tire and "repeated the experiment". That little blue piece of tape going to the top. I should make a YouTube video on how to balance a tire that way. It ended up at 14 grams worth of wheel weights.

9 ounces of Ride-On and a few torqued bolts latter I was done.

Seriously though. The old front had 18,000 miles on it and I was starting to get some wobble. I got 12,000 out of the last PR4 rear. I'm really looking at only one tire change a year. So no big deal paying soneone. The only reason I did it myself is because I hadn't done it before.

Good for you for trying it yourself!!.
I change all my own tires,the HF tire stand is $40 well spent !!!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greased my front break lever and fiddled with some new hand guards. Will do a separate post on the hand guards once I am finished fiddling and can do a proper report.

Today I went into the monument valley light off-road circuit (gravel, a little sandy at places and some flat stones)

A bit scary in the beginning with the load I carry on the bike but then I felt more comfortable. Except when it was getting sandy.

Overall a good way to visit monument valley.

e55ea5da72ab387d10acc9a3c80b33be.jpg

8ca781cbadb827076c130de39b9ef72b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for a practice run on the hairpin bends of the Albis Pass and the Buchenegg in the outskirts of Zurich. In order to pass your bike licence you need to ride these roads with an examiner riding pillion. I tried it last week with my teacher to disastrous effect. Today, riding solo, went a lot better, but with still bags of room for improvement before I take the test next year. I'll figure it out somehow.

Here in Montana you can ride solo on provided small-displacement machines on courses set up by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation to waive DMV riding tests, provided you also pass their written test. The instructors are great... I think they figure that's enough to get you out on the roads to be targets for cage drivers where the real testing begins.

Saturday:

lxkVYi4.jpg

damn 17" front wheels

After sitting a while in the water there is a possibility that water will have gotten past the axle dust seals and will be sitting trapped inside them. For that reason I suggest pulling off the wheels asap and checking that aspect. I got caught in a similar situation on an XR 400 and the wheel bearings packed up a few months later. There was moisture and indeed some rust inside the dust seals but it had eventually made its way inside the bearing seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back