• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Pine crest Ca. it was so crowded there was no parking spot ANY WHERE and the smoke from the fires was really bad. So went to Columbia state park and talked to a friend of mine that is a street Musician that plays the penny flute there. Was fun!!!!

Last edited:
Just added bags I got off ADV rider today! Was so nice to ditch my helmet in the frunk and my jacket in a bag and walk around holding nothing for a change. 8.jpg

Boo...!!! that is awesome, so you made the Saddle Sore Iron Butt challenge!! You DID IT, and you set the bar pretty high for me.... under 20 hours, man that is awesome, great job!!
:{)

Last edited:
Rebuilt the right side fork due to chips in the chrome causing an oil leak. Enough to make a ~6" squarish puddle on my garage floor.
So replaced the tube ($$$), sliding rings, and all seals on the right side, with spares (other than the tube) to do the left.
Glad I bought two extra 'backing rings' as they made a good foundation to pound on with a modified PVC fitting to get the seal and slider to seat.
I plan on riding it to work this week, expected total miles ~700 give or take an ish, to verify all's well.
(I am in the process of selling, and don't have it in me to sell a vehicle with a known problem.)
So far I have ridden it perhaps 75 miles, and no sign of leak.

Boo...!!! that is awesome, so you made the Saddle Sore Iron Butt challenge!! You DID IT, and you set the bar pretty high for me.... under 20 hours, man that is awesome, great job!!
:{)

Its not race, We got lucky and were able to haul *** during the day, and slow down at night and still make good time.

Glad you had friend to make the ride with you. Looks like i'm solo'ing it for mine! I had the same idea for my ride attempt. Hard during the day when i can and easy at night as we have a ton of deer suicides around here...not good! I narrowly dodged one two weeks ago(by about 10") while over in Montana. I was heading south out of Kalispell down through the beautiful Flathead Valley towards St Regis when a nice Whitetail Buck still in Velvet hopped up on the road (from my left) and at first he was at a leisurely stroll crossing the road in front of me. So i went to the far right. Then he started sprinting to my side of the road/shoulder so i mash the binders and vered left towards the center line just to see him slow back down to a walk. Holy Smokes i just missed him by about 10", i could have stopped and shot him where he stood!! :{)

Last edited:
Glad you had friend to make the ride with you. Looks like i'm solo'ing it for mine! I had the same idea for my ride attempt. Hard during the day when i can and easy at night as we have a ton of deer suicides around here...not good! I narrowly dodged one two weeks ago(by about 10") while over in Montana. I was heading south out of Kalispell down through the beautiful Flathead Valley towards St Regis when a nice Whitetail Buck still in Velvet hopped up on the road (from my left) and at first he was at a leisurely stroll crossing the road in front of me. So i went to the far right. Then he started sprinting to my side of the road/shoulder so i mash the binders and vered left towards the center line just to see him slow back down to a walk. Holy Smokes i just missed him by about 10", i could have stopped and shot him where he stood!! :{)

If I remember correctly you are doing it yourself, not a sanctioned event? Why not wait and find an IBA one, from what I understand you can usually find a group that will let you tag along. If you are doing it that way you plan look into how you have to do it to prove the the IBA so you can get your number, unless you already did that.

Good suggestion, and much appreciated. I did already look it up on line and there are none in my area. So, with proper documentation/witnesses they'll accept it. I will document the entire ride, with gas receipts, pictures and friends along the way. Nervous excitement!! My eldest son and i are planning a trip up to Fairbanks next year in May/June 2019 where my elderly father still lives. As a personal test, i really wanted to ride the SS/IB 1k this year encouraging myself for the trip next year. So, 2-3 weeks and counting down for this step!! :{)

Good suggestion, and much appreciated. I did already look it up on line and there are none in my area. So, with proper documentation/witnesses they'll accept it. I will document the entire ride, with gas receipts, pictures and friends along the way. Nervous excitement!! My eldest son and i are planning a trip up to Fairbanks next year in May/June 2019 where my elderly father still lives. As a personal test, i really wanted to ride the SS/IB 1k this year encouraging myself for the trip next year. So, 2-3 weeks and counting down for this step!! :{)

I did my saddlesore 4 years ago, 1050 miles in 17 hours-mine was all Interstate (74-78mph). I-65 from Henryville Indiana to Mobile Al then I-10 to just north of Lake City Florida, then I-75 to Gainesville Florida, then 12 miles of Fl Hwy 24 to Archer, Fl.
I live in Indiana, have property outside of Gainesville, Florida-went to check on the property.

Stay hydrated-at least a pint of water every 2 hours-more if really hot. Doing all Interstate, I had to stop for fuel every 2-2.5 hours and I would chug down fluids (water or diet orange soda) and a power bar/granola bar-stopped once just west of Tallahassee Fl at a DQ for an hour trying to wait out a storm.. : rest of my stops, with the gas-up, bathroom break, chug down fluid and granola was 10-20 minute.

Last edited:
After several failed attempts to break the beads down on my rear tire. I tossed in the towel late last night. So this morning i was on a mission to find somewhere that didn't charge $100 to dismount my old tires and mount/balance my new ones. I first tried a buddies cycle repair shop. He was able to get the front one changed but tried for 45 mins on the rear and could not get it to budge either. I had an idea and took it to a mom-pop car tire shop in town. I arrived and spoke to the ole' boy and explained to him my dilemma. He took me back into their shop and pointed to really fancy tire machine saying "if i do it i'll have to charge you, knock yourself out son". HEH... little did he know i knew how to use it! So, i dismounted and mounted my own rear tire today... for $Free.99..! and Boy was it slick!

I used two jack stands and the axle shaft for each wheel and balanced them myself. Both of them took very little weight. :{)
New tires at 5900 miles july 25th 2018.jpg

A new Conti-Motion 120/70 for the front
new tires ride around the parking lot.jpg

And a new Shinko SR741 150/70 for the rear
new tires ride around the parking lot2.jpg

Last edited:
So yesterday, just before i threw in the towel for the day. I took a short break and installed the new front fender extender. Looks pretty sharp on the bike.
installed the new front fender extender.jpg

So now that I have the rest of the week off... HEY, let's go for a ride!! :{)

Last edited:
After several failed attempts to break the beads down on my rear tire. I tossed in the towel late last night. So this morning i was on a mission to find somewhere that didn't charge $100 to dismount my old tires and mount/balance my new ones. I first tried a buddies cycle repair shop. He was able to get the front one changed but tried for 45 mins on the rear and could not get it to budge either. I had an idea and took it to a mom-pop car tire shop in town. I arrived and spoke to the ole' boy and explained to him my dilemma. He took me back into their shop and pointed to really fancy tire machine saying "if i do it i'll have to charge you, knock yourself out son". HEH... little did he know i knew how to use it! So, i dismounted and mounted my own rear tire today... for $Free.99..! and Boy was it slick!

I used two jack stands and the axle shaft for each wheel and balanced them myself. Both of them took very little weight. :{)
View attachment 36876

A new Conti-Motion 120/70 for the front
View attachment 36877

And a new Shinko SR741 150/70 for the rear
View attachment 36878

Hey Rapturee is the 150/70 better than the stock R160/60ZR-17 or is there a reason you went with this size???

Hey Mahbin, thanks for asking. There is nothing wrong with the stock tire size at all. I was very pleased with the way it rode/handled with no problems whatsoever! I chose the 150/70 simply because it was a little taller and would give me a few less rpm's at freeway speed. I admit that i am always looking for a way to get better mpg out of our beloved bikes. I have opened up the exhaust with a new DanMoto pipe, i installed a new K+N air filter, i changed the primary sprocket from a 16T to a 17T and have now added the slightly taller 150/70 rear tire. Now to see how all of this rides as a whole. I've taking the rest of the week/end off and am going to put a few hundred miles on the new tires and see how it all rides. I have a sweet area that is 50 miles each way that i love to ride that follows a popular local river and see if i can beat my personal best mpg of 99 with the new tire. If this all works out, i'll install a 38T rear sprocket and see what i can get out of that combo! :{)

Hey Mahbin, thanks for asking. There is nothing wrong with the stock tire size at all. I was very pleased with the way it rode/handled with no problems whatsoever! I chose the 150/70 simply because it was a little taller and would give me a few less rpm's at freeway speed. I admit that i am always looking for a way to get better mpg out of our beloved bikes. I have opened up the exhaust with a new DanMoto pipe, i installed a new K+N air filter, i changed the primary sprocket from a 16T to a 17T and have now added the slightly taller 150/70 rear tire. Now to see how all of this rides as a whole. I've taking the rest of the week/end off and am going to put a few hundred miles on the new tires and see how it all rides. I have a sweet area that is 50 miles each way that i love to ride that follows a popular local river and see if i can beat my personal best mpg of 99 with the new tire. If this all works out, i'll install a 38T rear sprocket and see what i can get out of that combo! :{)[/QUOTE

I think this has reached the level of a sickness.

There is a reason I take my wheels to the dealer. They will mount and balance for $25 if I take them the wheel and order tires from them. I research tire prices on line and they match them. Good deal in my opinion.

I went for a test ride on the new tires. Front one is definitely louder than the contimotion especially under braking. Only did 20 miles or so, I still need to fab up the raised front fender, but I may do a short (150 miles or so) mountain ride tomorrow to fully approve the new front tire before I start "modifying" the fender.
NewShoes.jpg

p.s. for the Rapturee, I was at 196.8 miles from the last trip through the mountains with my son breaking in his new Harley Street 500, and added 2.176 gallons to top it off. 90.44 mpg granted it was only one tank and there may be some sample size error, but still not too shabby. It will be interesting to see what the new tires do to things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back