• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice 4 hour ride this morning before it got hot in the North Carolina mountains. NC 281, Charley's Creek Road, NC 215
609ed07bcb8717488ade107a91a82bb7.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I rode about 120 miles to get a tag on the central US ADV forum, a state park in Missouri with bison. (Prairie State Park east of Pittsburg, Kansas, very nice park.)
That meant about ten miles of gravel road on my Michelin pilots. I don’t mind roads that are largely dirt with some gravel, but this was fairly thick gravel, which is much less fun.
92 with 80% humidity towards the end also took much of the fun out of it. I had to have some cookies when I got home.

Honda on its first ferry crossing (between Rabbit Hash Ky and Rising Sun Indiana).
[video=youtube;Z2fir5YIleY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fir5YIleY[/video]

Got off from work early today, and you guessed it! Yup, i made a PIE run down to Harrison Idaho. They had a new one i've never seen before so of course i had to try it. Huckleberry/Raspberry, with Ice Cream on the side of course. :{)

Pie Harrison Bakery Huckleberry & Raseberry.JPG

As an added bonus, i checked my mileage on that run to see if how well the new Parabellum windscreen did compared to my old one and i got 91-mpg(and that is with my top box and side luggage on)!

:{)

Last edited:
Beautiful day yesterday. Perfect commute to/from work. Dinner with friends.
The post office finally delivered my brake pads that I ordered last week (priority 1-day). Then reassembled the ST rear brakes and tire.
4840ec62d2cccd40012c90db1abd2314.jpg

New rear Bridgestone and new break pads. Ready for my trip next week.

JT

Dale's Rack installed in place of the rear seat.

Corbin seat installed in place of the front seat.

Gas cap spray painted black.

Dale's Rack presses pretty hard against the new Corbin seat. I am expecting the rack to wear a hole through the leather of the Corbin. I will end up grinding down the Dale's Rack to better fit the contours of the Corbin but for now its all in place and going to stay that way.

The Corbin seat that i had for a while did the same thing. I tried the stock seat and my RDL and both of them clear it just fine. (easy fix though) :{)

Installed a new master link and did my first ever rivet of the chain..Sorry no pics as cell phone ran out of power and too dark after it charged (I will try to take pics later and post)...I have always used the clip style master link (I know I know, clips may be a no-no for some), and I noticed last week the front of the clip had some chipped/broke off...I found the new master rivet style link which had came with my new chain last year, so I thought, what the heck, I will give it a try after watching numerous you-tube videos on how it was done...I need to buy a good quality chain riveting tool (I had bought a cheapo, and it works, but the press plate holes didnt match up with the pins on the master link so I had to drill them out some-stated it was for a 520 chain but I think it is more for a 525 chain)..after that, it was actually easier than I thought...trying to 'guess' when you have riveted the pins enough was my only issue since it was the first time I had ever done it and never seen it done in person...it is on, the link moves freely, the plates on the master link are even with the other links and the pins are riveted....note to self, next time, dont do it when it is 90"F in a garage with no AC....did I ever mention I hate chain maintenance (love shaft drives).....

Installed a new master link and did my first ever rivet of the chain..Sorry no pics as cell phone ran out of power and too dark after it charged (I will try to take pics later and post)...I have always used the clip style master link (I know I know, clips may be a no-no for some), and I noticed last week the front of the clip had some chipped/broke off...I found the new master rivet style link which had came with my new chain last year, so I thought, what the heck, I will give it a try after watching numerous you-tube videos on how it was done...I need to buy a good quality chain riveting tool (I had bought a cheapo, and it works, but the press plate holes didnt match up with the pins on the master link so I had to drill them out some-stated it was for a 520 chain but I think it is more for a 525 chain)..after that, it was actually easier than I thought...trying to 'guess' when you have riveted the pins enough was my only issue since it was the first time I had ever done it and never seen it done in person...it is on, the link moves freely, the plates on the master link are even with the other links and the pins are riveted....note to self, next time, dont do it when it is 90"F in a garage with no AC....did I ever mention I hate chain maintenance (love shaft drives).....

I can relate to all of your post (including working in the heat and love for shaft drive comments). I, too, still feel uneasy about just how tight to rivet the master link. I once over tightened the rivets and had to press the pins out and start over with a new link. It’s a skill you learn over time, I guess.

I have done several chains successfully with the Motion Pro PBR chain tool, and it is holding up well. I think the price of it was reasonable.

An inexpensive digital caliper will take the guess work out of mushrooming those rivets. Easy to use and you’ll sleep better :rolleyes:

I can relate to all of your post (including working in the heat and love for shaft drive comments). I, too, still feel uneasy about just how tight to rivet the master link. I once over tightened the rivets and had to press the pins out and start over with a new link. It’s a skill you learn over time, I guess.

I have done several chains successfully with the Motion Pro PBR chain tool, and it is holding up well. I think the price of it was reasonable.

Yep, I think MotionPro is the next buy...for a 520 chain...:) On a side note...I went and test rode the new Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor..that is a sweet bike at that price... (I rode the NC700x over to the test ride)..It is geared similiar to the nc700x, almost the same HP, and the stock seat is slightly better than the stock Nc700 seat LOL...if it only was shaft drive......

An inexpensive digital caliper will take the guess work out of mushrooming those rivets. Easy to use and you’ll sleep better :rolleyes:

digital caliper can only be used to measure the thickness of the plates as compared to the other links and you have to remove the riveter to measure after you have already did the rivet,,,or am I missing something (not a mechanic by nature or trade---unless it is a computer)....

Ordered a set of GIVI Gravel soft panniers. Thinking about doing a couple of sections of the MABDR this summer. Maybe the whole thing next spring. One of the managers at my dealer just did the whole thing. He says section 2 was one of the best. I can leave the house and get to the start in four hours. Section one is 138 miles of deep gravel. Spend the night at Mountain Lake Lodge (Dirty Dancing) Section two is 78 miles, supposed to be really great riding and views, then home in 4 hours. Two days, one night. Good trial for this old man. Haven't ridden a full day in two years. Better work on getting in shape.

digital caliper can only be used to measure the thickness of the plates as compared to the other links and you have to remove the riveter to measure after you have already did the rivet,,,or am I missing something (not a mechanic by nature or trade---unless it is a computer)....

The install has two parts. One part is pressing the plate to match the other links. One part mushrooming the heads to the diameter specified by the manufacturer.

Ordered a set of GIVI Gravel soft panniers. Thinking about doing a couple of sections of the MABDR this summer. Maybe the whole thing next spring. One of the managers at my dealer just did the whole thing. He says section 2 was one of the best. I can leave the house and get to the start in four hours. Section one is 138 miles of deep gravel. Spend the night at Mountain Lake Lodge (Dirty Dancing) Section two is 78 miles, supposed to be really great riding and views, then home in 4 hours. Two days, one night. Good trial for this old man. Haven't ridden a full day in two years. Better work on getting in shape.
Sounds fun! Im not too big on offroading the NC or camping, road riding is just my preference, but that does sound like a fun, challenging trip.

I have been bitten by the trackday bug after 10 years of not being able to ride on the track. Now's my chance! I got it cleared with Sportbike Track Time to allow me to pass tech with my highway peg setup, so I've gotta round up some leathers, boots, gloves, and some sticky rubbers and go hammer all 51 mini-horses the 670cc pumps out this fall. May not be pretty, and definitely won't be the fastest, but it's gonna be fun as hell!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Another great ride in the North Carolina mountains. Beautiful tree canopy covered curvy roads with an occasional scenic view. Most of these secondary roads are well paved yet have almost no traffic. When I do get behind someone they often pull over to let me go by. Other times I'll stop a few minutes and let them get well ahead.
95016db68c84cc946c163569893c12c1.jpg
774afb4c1b841790680f12dc2e418300.jpg
e86ec64d2ca79ebc1a4eeb74d5e53498.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

100 miles yesterday. Yesterday was just a test ride with the new Corbin seat on the way to the post office to mail a box to my daughter. 96 miles to get to the post office. 4 miles back home :cool:

This morning my wife and rode to get a grilled cheese sandwich at a dairy farm that has a restaurant on the property. They use their own cheese. So 66 miles for a sandwich.

Sadly, no motorbike ...but I'm on the side of the pond where most of this forum live, celebrating Independence Day (or Traitors Day as we Brits call it) in Santa Barbara.

Anyone want to lend me their NC for the day tomorrow...?

a55bff72b2f9371956688ce622c6f6ce.jpg

d45e7e047d0dcf679bdc3d12529e7859.jpg

dd529e80c634d88962ab064134218bc8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back